UPDATE: Death crash investigated by IPCC
A PASSENGER in a car being followed by the police died after a crash in Royston.
The collision in Melbourn Street, took place at just after 1am this morning, closing the road and the junction with the A10.
Hertfordshire Constabulary will not comment on the incident and have referred the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission - who are investigating.
“The incident, in which the driver died and another man was injured, happened after the car came to the attention of a marked police car on patrol,” said a spokesman for the IPCC
“At this early stage it is understood that at around 1am officers signalled for the car to pull over, which it did not do, and that a short time later the car overturned on Melbourn Street.
You may also want to watch:
“The IPCC deployed investigators to begin collecting evidence and following an assessment it has been decided that an independent investigation will be conducted.”
It is believed the vehicle collided with a set of traffic lights, two people were transported to hospital.
- 1 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 8 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Where to get a walk-in Covid-19 vaccine in Cambridgeshire this weekend