UPDATE: Death crash investigated by IPCC
A PASSENGER in a car being followed by the police died after a crash in Royston.
The collision in Melbourn Street, took place at just after 1am this morning, closing the road and the junction with the A10.
Hertfordshire Constabulary will not comment on the incident and have referred the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission - who are investigating.
“The incident, in which the driver died and another man was injured, happened after the car came to the attention of a marked police car on patrol,” said a spokesman for the IPCC
“At this early stage it is understood that at around 1am officers signalled for the car to pull over, which it did not do, and that a short time later the car overturned on Melbourn Street.
You may also want to watch:
“The IPCC deployed investigators to begin collecting evidence and following an assessment it has been decided that an independent investigation will be conducted.”
It is believed the vehicle collided with a set of traffic lights, two people were transported to hospital.
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 3 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 4 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 5 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 9 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing