UPDATE: Death crash investigated by IPCC
A PASSENGER in a car being followed by the police died after a crash in Royston.
The collision in Melbourn Street, took place at just after 1am this morning, closing the road and the junction with the A10.
Hertfordshire Constabulary will not comment on the incident and have referred the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission - who are investigating.
“The incident, in which the driver died and another man was injured, happened after the car came to the attention of a marked police car on patrol,” said a spokesman for the IPCC
“At this early stage it is understood that at around 1am officers signalled for the car to pull over, which it did not do, and that a short time later the car overturned on Melbourn Street.
You may also want to watch:
“The IPCC deployed investigators to begin collecting evidence and following an assessment it has been decided that an independent investigation will be conducted.”
It is believed the vehicle collided with a set of traffic lights, two people were transported to hospital.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown
- 8 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 9 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 10 Three household waste collection crews suspended