Unemployment rate in Crow country bucks national rise
UNEMPLOYMENT has remained low in Crow country, bucking the trend of a national increase, which has seen the number of people out of work soar to a 17-year high.
The amount of people currently claiming Job Seekers Allowance in North Herts and South Cambs remains below the national level.
Official figures for December last year revealed North Herts hasd 2.8 per cent of residents currently claiming, and South Cambs had 1.4 per cent.
The UK average currently stands at 3.8 per cent.
Royston’s MP Oliver Heald has welcomed the news
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It is very welcome that local employment is holding up so well in very difficult circumstances, given Britain’s high level of debt and the measures being taken to put us back on track. “It is a tribute to the skills of our local work force and the strength of our companies in Hertfordshire.”
Cllr Tom Brindley, North Herts District Council’s portfolio holder for planning, transport and enterprise added: “Although last week’s figures showed a slight rise in unemployment nationally, the number of people claiming unemployment-related benefits in North Herts during November to December 2011 stayed at 2.4 per cent, well below the national average of 3.8 per cent.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 7 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks
“These figures are a really encouraging step forward in challenging economic times, and we will continue to support our local businesses to ensur North Herts is a vibrant place to live and work.”