Two years on and village murder remains a mystery
IT is two years since ex-Army colonel Robert Riley Workman was shot dead on his doorstep in Furneux Pelham – but police still haven t solved the mystery. In a bid to find the killer and to mark the anniversary, a mobile police station will visit the villa
IT is two years since ex-Army colonel Robert Riley Workman was shot dead on his doorstep in Furneux Pelham - but police still haven't solved the mystery.
In a bid to find the killer and to mark the anniversary, a mobile police station will visit the village on Saturday and extra police officers will patrol the area to continue searching for clues.
Det Chief Insp Colin Sparrow, who is leading the investigation, said that they have written to residents in and around the Furneux Pelham area updating them on the case.
He said: "At this time of year, there will be talk again of the murder and the community needs assurance that we are still investigating the case.
"I would again ask anybody who might have a snippet of information about the investigation to speak to officers on Saturday or to call us."
Det Insp Sparrow said that the investigation has scaled down, but that they still have four officers working intermediately on the case.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
To coincide with the one year anniversary of his death, the 83-year-old's family from Australia released a joint statement to appeal for new information in the hunt for his killer.
Police said Mr Workman had been shot at point blank range with a large game shot.
They carried out door-to-door inquiries, checking every gun in the village to see whether it matched the weapon used in the killing.
They also released a 999 call which was made at 5am on January 8 2004 - nine hours after the shooting.
The call was made from a phone box in the nearby village of Braughing and asked for an ambulance to go to Mr Workman's house.
The caller has still not been traced.
* Anyone with information is asked to call the police on 01707 354236.