Two dogs and two cats die in Melbourn house fire
- Credit: Archant
Two dogs and two cats have tragically died in a house fire in Melbourn.
The fire broke out at the house in Medcalfe Way at about 1pm.
There was no one in at the time and a neighbour called 999 after smelling smoke.
Firefighters from Royston and Cambridge arrived shortly afterwards and had returned to their stations after putting out the blaze by 2.50pm.
It is believed the fire, which broke out on the ground floor of the two-storey semi-detached property, was a result of an electrical fault in the mains wiring.
You may also want to watch:
Station commander Jamie Johnson said: “No smoke alarms went off in this property and we would like to take this opportunity to stress the importance of having a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home.
“Test it regularly and never take the batteries out. If you know someone who is elderly or vulnerable then make it your job before Christmas to test their smoke alarm or install one if they do not have one.”
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre