Two dogs and two cats die in Melbourn house fire
PUBLISHED: 16:20 13 November 2015 | UPDATED: 16:20 13 November 2015
Two dogs and two cats have tragically died in a house fire in Melbourn.
The fire broke out at the house in Medcalfe Way at about 1pm.
There was no one in at the time and a neighbour called 999 after smelling smoke.
Firefighters from Royston and Cambridge arrived shortly afterwards and had returned to their stations after putting out the blaze by 2.50pm.
It is believed the fire, which broke out on the ground floor of the two-storey semi-detached property, was a result of an electrical fault in the mains wiring.
Station commander Jamie Johnson said: “No smoke alarms went off in this property and we would like to take this opportunity to stress the importance of having a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home.
“Test it regularly and never take the batteries out. If you know someone who is elderly or vulnerable then make it your job before Christmas to test their smoke alarm or install one if they do not have one.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.