Twins tackle Ben Nevis
TWINS from Royston braved extreme weather to complete the Ben Nevis Challenge. Jenny Brackley and Alison Hubbard, 63, took to the Scottish mountain to raise money for Breast Cancer Care. Alison,of Poplar Drive, Royston, said: It was raining, foggy, and a
TWINS from Royston braved extreme weather to complete the Ben Nevis Challenge.
Jenny Brackley and Alison Hubbard, 63, took to the Scottish mountain to raise money for Breast Cancer Care.
Alison,of Poplar Drive, Royston, said: "It was raining, foggy, and as we ascended the winds gusted up to 80mph, it was a real challenge."
Finally, the pair's experienced mountain guides made the decision that it was too dangerous to continue and the party had to turn and descend.
"Everyone involved said that of the many times they had climbed Ben Nevis, this was the toughest ascent and descent ever experienced with a group raising money for charity," said Alison.
However, the sisters both agreed that it was a "fantastic experience" and, undaunted by the adverse conditions they experienced, are already looking towards walking the Great Wall of China in October 2009.
- 1 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 6 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 7 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 10 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
Both Jenny, of Priory Close, Royston, and Alison have raised more than £1,000 each for Breast Cancer Care, with sponsorship money still coming in.
Alison said: "Although the summit was not reached, it was truly worth every step taken, and we'd like to thank all those who have given us generous support."
Anybody still wishing to make a donation should ring either Jenny Brackley on 01763 244593 or Alison Hubbard on 01763 243853, or visit the website www.justgiving.com/alisonhubbard1 and www.justgiving.com/jennybrackley