Twins tackle Ben Nevis
TWINS from Royston braved extreme weather to complete the Ben Nevis Challenge. Jenny Brackley and Alison Hubbard, 63, took to the Scottish mountain to raise money for Breast Cancer Care. Alison,of Poplar Drive, Royston, said: It was raining, foggy, and a
TWINS from Royston braved extreme weather to complete the Ben Nevis Challenge.
Jenny Brackley and Alison Hubbard, 63, took to the Scottish mountain to raise money for Breast Cancer Care.
Alison,of Poplar Drive, Royston, said: "It was raining, foggy, and as we ascended the winds gusted up to 80mph, it was a real challenge."
Finally, the pair's experienced mountain guides made the decision that it was too dangerous to continue and the party had to turn and descend.
You may also want to watch:
"Everyone involved said that of the many times they had climbed Ben Nevis, this was the toughest ascent and descent ever experienced with a group raising money for charity," said Alison.
However, the sisters both agreed that it was a "fantastic experience" and, undaunted by the adverse conditions they experienced, are already looking towards walking the Great Wall of China in October 2009.
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 3 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 4 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 5 Publish and be damned: 'farmgate' report goes to the vote
- 6 Pupils become journalists for class topic
- 7 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 8 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 9 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 10 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
Both Jenny, of Priory Close, Royston, and Alison have raised more than £1,000 each for Breast Cancer Care, with sponsorship money still coming in.
Alison said: "Although the summit was not reached, it was truly worth every step taken, and we'd like to thank all those who have given us generous support."
Anybody still wishing to make a donation should ring either Jenny Brackley on 01763 244593 or Alison Hubbard on 01763 243853, or visit the website www.justgiving.com/alisonhubbard1 and www.justgiving.com/jennybrackley