Turmoil over pianist’s work
THE classical music world has been thrown into turmoil after claims that a music producer released recordings of celebrated musicians under his late wife s name. William Barrington-Coupe of Tall Trees, Royston, released more than 100 CDs of performances b
THE classical music world has been thrown into turmoil after claims that a music producer released recordings of celebrated musicians under his late wife's name.
William Barrington-Coupe of Tall Trees, Royston, released more than 100 CDs of performances by his wife and admired pianist, Joyce Hatto.
But the authenticity of Ms Hatto's masterpieces, who died of cancer last year at the age of 77, has been brought into question after research by critics at Gramophone magazine is said to reveal some of her CDs are identical to earlier recordings made by other musicians.
In addition, the magazine also claimed that it found a track had been digitally manipulated.
You may also want to watch:
Her performances were released by her husband on the classical music label Concert Artist.
Despite battling cancer for 36 years she mastered a range of repertoire which caused rumours to circulate on the internet, questioning the true origins of her recordings.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Mr Barrington-Coupe said: "She was the sole pianist on those recordings.
"I was there at all the important sessions. I was the engineer on the jobs and I take full responsibility for everything released on my label, Concert Artist.
"Twelve months ago she wasn't very well known. If it was all a fake why would I put my wife's name on it?
"I would have put someone else, some Russian name and we would have sold 10 times as many."
Mr Barrington-Coupe is no longer selling the recordings in question.
When The Crow spoke to Mr Barrington-Coupe yesterday (Wednesday) he declined to give an interview.
But he promised that he would be talking to The Crow next week.