Tributes to motorcyclist who died after collision

FAMILY members have paid tribute to a “hero” motorcyclist who died following a collision.

Terry Back, 45, of Newman Avenue, Royston, died at the scene of the incident, on the A10 at Chipping, last Wednesday.

Known as ‘Tel’ to his friends and family, he leaves behind a wife, eight children and two grandchildren.

His wife, Jane, said: “My darling Tel was my best friend. He would light up the room when he walked in. He had many interests and found it hard to sit and do nothing. He did a lot for people and whatever he did, he did it with a good heart.

“Tel never had a bad word to say about anyone and he made friends wherever he went. He never needed a drink of alcohol – he was always so high on life.

“His children meant the world to him and he loved them so much. Tel was always positive he never let the down side of things get to him and really did not like seeing people unhappy.

“I am so proud to be his wife. He is in my heart forever.”

Most Read

A keen football fan, Mr Back was an Arsenal season ticket holder and a former chairman of Waltham Forest Football Club.

His brother, Dean Back, said: “Tel was a hard worker and turned his hand to many things. He had many jobs throughout his life, including being a chef – which we joked with him about – saying he had learned how to make custard.

“The family have been inundated with lovely phone calls and messages since last Wednesday. So many people have showed support and concern and it is so comforting.

“I would like to thank everyone for all they have done and the support they have shown from the bottom of my heart. It means a lot to us all. I am hearing stories from people I never knew, about my brother and it is wonderful knowing he has touched so many lives. We will miss him terribly, but it is comforting to know he touched the lives of so many people.”

Tammy Back-Hall, Mr Back’s sister, added: “Tel was my hero and our strength, he stood by us all, he will be forever in our hearts.’’

Floral tributes have been placed at the scene of the crash, near the Old Mission Hall in Chipping. The incident occurred at about 3.20pm on Wednesday, October 24, and involved Mr Back’s motorcycle and one other vehicle. Four ambulance crews and the East Anglia Air Ambulance attended, but Mr Back was pronounced dead at the scene. An inquest into his death was opened and adjourned on October 26.

Police are still investigating the incident, and anyone with information should contact Pc Gareth Rees on 101.