Tributes to former mayor
FORMER Mayor of Royston Charles Lander has died.
Mr Lander, 91, who lived in Gage Close, Royston, died in hospital on Tuesday.
He was town mayor in 1989/90 after being elected to Royston Town Council to represent the Royston East ward.
The former soldier, who served during the Second World War, was married to the late Yvonne Lander, and the couple had three sons, and grandchildren and great grandchildren
Cllr F John Smith, who knew Mr Lander through his work as a councillor, said: “Charles was always very smart and outgoing, and someone you could trust to the utmost.
“He was a very active mayor and he and his wife did a great deal for the town.”
As an active member of the community, Mr Lander was a governor at St Mary’s School, and latterly served as chairman of the Royston Day Centre.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 3 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 4 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Bringing sunshine to our NHS - charity launches match funding to double money
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 Careless driver was 'using phone' when she killed Cambridge cyclist
Another ex-mayor of Royston, Les Baker, said: “Charles was someone for whom the description ‘gentleman’ was quite correct.”
Information on Mr Lander’s funeral can be obtained from Jeremy Rule Funeral Service on 01763 242560.