Tributes to former mayor
FORMER Mayor of Royston Charles Lander has died.
Mr Lander, 91, who lived in Gage Close, Royston, died in hospital on Tuesday.
He was town mayor in 1989/90 after being elected to Royston Town Council to represent the Royston East ward.
The former soldier, who served during the Second World War, was married to the late Yvonne Lander, and the couple had three sons, and grandchildren and great grandchildren
Cllr F John Smith, who knew Mr Lander through his work as a councillor, said: “Charles was always very smart and outgoing, and someone you could trust to the utmost.
You may also want to watch:
“He was a very active mayor and he and his wife did a great deal for the town.”
As an active member of the community, Mr Lander was a governor at St Mary’s School, and latterly served as chairman of the Royston Day Centre.
- 1 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 2 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 3 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 4 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 9 Isthmian League reveal why they want to terminate non-league football 'at the earliest opportunity'
- 10 Thief pleads guilty to assaulting two people
Another ex-mayor of Royston, Les Baker, said: “Charles was someone for whom the description ‘gentleman’ was quite correct.”
Information on Mr Lander’s funeral can be obtained from Jeremy Rule Funeral Service on 01763 242560.