Tributes to former mayor
FORMER Mayor of Royston Charles Lander has died.
Mr Lander, 91, who lived in Gage Close, Royston, died in hospital on Tuesday.
He was town mayor in 1989/90 after being elected to Royston Town Council to represent the Royston East ward.
The former soldier, who served during the Second World War, was married to the late Yvonne Lander, and the couple had three sons, and grandchildren and great grandchildren
Cllr F John Smith, who knew Mr Lander through his work as a councillor, said: “Charles was always very smart and outgoing, and someone you could trust to the utmost.
You may also want to watch:
“He was a very active mayor and he and his wife did a great deal for the town.”
As an active member of the community, Mr Lander was a governor at St Mary’s School, and latterly served as chairman of the Royston Day Centre.
- 1 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 4 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 5 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 6 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 7 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 8 MP 'delighted' at Barley speed camera action
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
Another ex-mayor of Royston, Les Baker, said: “Charles was someone for whom the description ‘gentleman’ was quite correct.”
Information on Mr Lander’s funeral can be obtained from Jeremy Rule Funeral Service on 01763 242560.