Tributes to former mayor
FORMER Mayor of Royston Charles Lander has died.
Mr Lander, 91, who lived in Gage Close, Royston, died in hospital on Tuesday.
He was town mayor in 1989/90 after being elected to Royston Town Council to represent the Royston East ward.
The former soldier, who served during the Second World War, was married to the late Yvonne Lander, and the couple had three sons, and grandchildren and great grandchildren
Cllr F John Smith, who knew Mr Lander through his work as a councillor, said: “Charles was always very smart and outgoing, and someone you could trust to the utmost.
You may also want to watch:
“He was a very active mayor and he and his wife did a great deal for the town.”
As an active member of the community, Mr Lander was a governor at St Mary’s School, and latterly served as chairman of the Royston Day Centre.
- 1 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 2 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 3 IWM Duxford set to reopen fully and new flying days announced
- 4 Police dog helps track down bike stolen in South Cambs
- 5 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 6 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?
- 7 Who are our North Herts candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 8 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 9 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 10 Photographic Society plans new ventures as lockdown eases
Another ex-mayor of Royston, Les Baker, said: “Charles was someone for whom the description ‘gentleman’ was quite correct.”
Information on Mr Lander’s funeral can be obtained from Jeremy Rule Funeral Service on 01763 242560.