Tributes to former mayor
FORMER Mayor of Royston Charles Lander has died.
Mr Lander, 91, who lived in Gage Close, Royston, died in hospital on Tuesday.
He was town mayor in 1989/90 after being elected to Royston Town Council to represent the Royston East ward.
The former soldier, who served during the Second World War, was married to the late Yvonne Lander, and the couple had three sons, and grandchildren and great grandchildren
Cllr F John Smith, who knew Mr Lander through his work as a councillor, said: “Charles was always very smart and outgoing, and someone you could trust to the utmost.
“He was a very active mayor and he and his wife did a great deal for the town.”
As an active member of the community, Mr Lander was a governor at St Mary’s School, and latterly served as chairman of the Royston Day Centre.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
Another ex-mayor of Royston, Les Baker, said: “Charles was someone for whom the description ‘gentleman’ was quite correct.”
Information on Mr Lander’s funeral can be obtained from Jeremy Rule Funeral Service on 01763 242560.