Tributes paid to former SAS man
A FORMER member of the SAS from Royston has died. Alf Evans, of Milton Close, Royston passed away last Thursday at Papworth Hospital, aged 72. Patrons at the North Star pub in Royston have led tributes to Mr Evans. Carlo Zambonini, speaking on behalf of c
A FORMER member of the SAS from Royston has died.
Alf Evans, of Milton Close, Royston passed away last Thursday at Papworth Hospital, aged 72.
Patrons at the North Star pub in Royston have led tributes to Mr Evans.
Carlo Zambonini, speaking on behalf of customers and staff at the pub, said: "He will be sadly missed as the grand old man of the pub.
You may also want to watch:
"He exhibited a healthy sense of humour, while always demonstrating generosity and modesty."
Mr Evans, originally from South Wales, was part of the parachute regiment before joining the Special Air Services (SAS). He saw active service in Kenya, Oman, Malaya, Borneo, and several other parts of the world.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 3 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 4 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 5 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 6 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 The bells are back in town!
- 9 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 10 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
He lived in Royston for the last 25 years, and was a stalwart collector for the Poppy Appeal, regularly turning out at the Remembrance Day parade.
His funeral takes place next Wednesday, February 18, at Cambridge City Crematorium, at 3pm.
Flowers will be welcomed, and donations to the Royal British Legion and The Papworth Hospital Charitable Trust.
These can be sent via Jeremy Rule Funeral Service, on 01763 242560.