Travellers pitch up on Royston playing field
TRAVELLERS have pitched up in Royston on a playing field surrounded by housing and next to Studlands Rise First School.
Three caravans and a van arrived at around 10.30am this morning (Tuesday) after moving on from an encampment in Meldreth.
As The Crow arrived on the scene police and North Herts District Council officers were speaking to the travellers.
A female traveller said: “We’re not causing any harm to anyone, we just want to stay here as long as we can.
“We keep ourselves to ourselves and we are not causing any disturbances.”
You may also want to watch:
Nearby residents were shocked to see the caravans near their houses.
Gladys Edwards, of Furze Grove, said: “It’s terrible. I’m surprised to see it as it is a residential area and a playing field.
- 1 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 2 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 3 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 7 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 8 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Stunning snap causes stir online
“We have been here for 25 years and we haven’t seen anything like it.”
MORE TO FOLLOW