Travellers pitch up on Royston playing field
TRAVELLERS have pitched up in Royston on a playing field surrounded by housing and next to Studlands Rise First School.
Three caravans and a van arrived at around 10.30am this morning (Tuesday) after moving on from an encampment in Meldreth.
As The Crow arrived on the scene police and North Herts District Council officers were speaking to the travellers.
A female traveller said: “We’re not causing any harm to anyone, we just want to stay here as long as we can.
“We keep ourselves to ourselves and we are not causing any disturbances.”
You may also want to watch:
Nearby residents were shocked to see the caravans near their houses.
Gladys Edwards, of Furze Grove, said: “It’s terrible. I’m surprised to see it as it is a residential area and a playing field.
- 1 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 2 IWM Duxford set to reopen fully and new flying days announced
- 3 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 4 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 5 Police dog helps track down bike stolen in South Cambs
- 6 Who are our North Herts candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 7 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 8 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 9 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 10 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?
“We have been here for 25 years and we haven’t seen anything like it.”
MORE TO FOLLOW