Travellers pitch up on Royston playing field
TRAVELLERS have pitched up in Royston on a playing field surrounded by housing and next to Studlands Rise First School.
Three caravans and a van arrived at around 10.30am this morning (Tuesday) after moving on from an encampment in Meldreth.
As The Crow arrived on the scene police and North Herts District Council officers were speaking to the travellers.
A female traveller said: “We’re not causing any harm to anyone, we just want to stay here as long as we can.
“We keep ourselves to ourselves and we are not causing any disturbances.”
You may also want to watch:
Nearby residents were shocked to see the caravans near their houses.
Gladys Edwards, of Furze Grove, said: “It’s terrible. I’m surprised to see it as it is a residential area and a playing field.
- 1 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 2 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 6 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 8 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 9 Families of care home residents worry about vaccine roll-out delays
- 10 Mass vaccination centre in town 'first' to open next week
“We have been here for 25 years and we haven’t seen anything like it.”
MORE TO FOLLOW