Travellers pitch up on Royston playing field
TRAVELLERS have pitched up in Royston on a playing field surrounded by housing and next to Studlands Rise First School.
Three caravans and a van arrived at around 10.30am this morning (Tuesday) after moving on from an encampment in Meldreth.
As The Crow arrived on the scene police and North Herts District Council officers were speaking to the travellers.
A female traveller said: “We’re not causing any harm to anyone, we just want to stay here as long as we can.
“We keep ourselves to ourselves and we are not causing any disturbances.”
Nearby residents were shocked to see the caravans near their houses.
Gladys Edwards, of Furze Grove, said: “It’s terrible. I’m surprised to see it as it is a residential area and a playing field.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 4 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 5 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 6 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 7 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 8 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 In pictures: 'Amazing' Paloma Faith wows fans as Newmarket Nights season starts with a bang
“We have been here for 25 years and we haven’t seen anything like it.”
MORE TO FOLLOW