Train overcrowding 'worst in country'
A WEEKDAY train service which calls at Royston station is the most overcrowded route in the country. The 7.15am First Capital Connect service from Cambridge to London King s Cross stops at Royston just before 7.30am. And on this service, an average of 870
A WEEKDAY train service which calls at Royston station is the most overcrowded route in the country.
The 7.15am First Capital Connect service from Cambridge to London King's Cross stops at Royston just before 7.30am.
And on this service, an average of 870 passengers a day are being squeezed into just eight carriages, which are meant to carry 495 people.
The figures were obtained from the Department for Trans-port by The Daily Telegraph, after a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
You may also want to watch:
Howard de Souza is a member of the Royston Passenger Action Group, which provides a voice for commuters who use Royston station.
And Mr de Souza is not surprised that the train ranks as the most overcrowded in the country.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 10 Vote will decide parental leave payment to key county councillors
He said: "If you get a train that originates in Royston it is OK for the Royston commuters.
"But if the train doesn't originate in Royston, we have to stand all the way and it is unbearably over-crowded.
"Some people sit on the floor but it is absolutely filthy.
"I am not blaming First Capital Connect for this, I really believe that somebody much more senior in government has to travel on the train and then figure out a better system for us.