Train overcrowding 'worst in country'
A WEEKDAY train service which calls at Royston station is the most overcrowded route in the country. The 7.15am First Capital Connect service from Cambridge to London King s Cross stops at Royston just before 7.30am. And on this service, an average of 870
A WEEKDAY train service which calls at Royston station is the most overcrowded route in the country.
The 7.15am First Capital Connect service from Cambridge to London King's Cross stops at Royston just before 7.30am.
And on this service, an average of 870 passengers a day are being squeezed into just eight carriages, which are meant to carry 495 people.
The figures were obtained from the Department for Trans-port by The Daily Telegraph, after a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
Howard de Souza is a member of the Royston Passenger Action Group, which provides a voice for commuters who use Royston station.
And Mr de Souza is not surprised that the train ranks as the most overcrowded in the country.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 4 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 9 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
He said: "If you get a train that originates in Royston it is OK for the Royston commuters.
"But if the train doesn't originate in Royston, we have to stand all the way and it is unbearably over-crowded.
"Some people sit on the floor but it is absolutely filthy.
"I am not blaming First Capital Connect for this, I really believe that somebody much more senior in government has to travel on the train and then figure out a better system for us.