Train overcrowding 'worst in country'
A WEEKDAY train service which calls at Royston station is the most overcrowded route in the country. The 7.15am First Capital Connect service from Cambridge to London King s Cross stops at Royston just before 7.30am. And on this service, an average of 870
A WEEKDAY train service which calls at Royston station is the most overcrowded route in the country.
The 7.15am First Capital Connect service from Cambridge to London King's Cross stops at Royston just before 7.30am.
And on this service, an average of 870 passengers a day are being squeezed into just eight carriages, which are meant to carry 495 people.
The figures were obtained from the Department for Trans-port by The Daily Telegraph, after a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
You may also want to watch:
Howard de Souza is a member of the Royston Passenger Action Group, which provides a voice for commuters who use Royston station.
And Mr de Souza is not surprised that the train ranks as the most overcrowded in the country.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
He said: "If you get a train that originates in Royston it is OK for the Royston commuters.
"But if the train doesn't originate in Royston, we have to stand all the way and it is unbearably over-crowded.
"Some people sit on the floor but it is absolutely filthy.
"I am not blaming First Capital Connect for this, I really believe that somebody much more senior in government has to travel on the train and then figure out a better system for us.