Trader slams new bin rates
A SHOPKEEPER has hit out at North Herts District Council after his refuse collection rates rose by over 40 per cent. Sam Hogg, owner of Shop on the Corner, Royston, was shocked to discover that his commercial bin collection bill for 2009/10 would increa
A SHOPKEEPER has hit out at North Herts District Council after his refuse collection rates rose by over 40 per cent.
Sam Hogg, owner of Shop on the Corner, Royston, was shocked to discover that his commercial bin collection bill for 2009/10 would increase from �185.42 to �269.10. He has now cancelled the service.
Mr Hogg said: "This is a totally unacceptable increase and I don't understand how the council can justify it.
"When businesses are struggling to survive and cutting as many little costs as they can, this is an amazing decision. Talk about kicking us when we're down."
You may also want to watch:
A district council spokesman said: "The cost increase of commercial refuse collection is caused by a number of factors.
"The district council has realigned its charges to match its competitors more closely, and, in common with all refuse collectors, faces rapidly increasing costs, notably this week's increase in landfill tax from �32 to �40 per tonne, and greater transport costs to more distant landfill sites.
- 1 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 2 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 3 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 4 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown
- 8 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 9 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 10 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
The spokesman added that the increase is heavier for the "users of smaller bins".
He said: "There is a sliding scale depending on the size of bin or skip used by the customer but the cost of collecting each type is not significantly different.