Town welcomes twinners
VISITORS from Royston s German twin town of Grossalmerode enjoyed an activity-packed visit to the town. Claire Davies, from the Royston and District Twinning Association, who organised the visit, said: We had 29 people come over from Grossalmerode this y
VISITORS from Royston's German twin town of Grossalmerode enjoyed an activity-packed visit to the town.
Claire Davies, from the Royston and District Twinning Association, who organised the visit, said: "We had 29 people come over from Grossalmerode this year.
"The exchange has been happening for 35 years, and some of the first 'twinners' are still coming."
After taking a trip to St Albans for a tour of the Abbey and the Roman ruins, the party from Grossalmerode played a full part in the harvest festival celebrations at Royston parish church.
You may also want to watch:
"Many of the group came to the parish church's harvest supper, which is the type of event which does not take place in Grossalmerode," said Claire.
"They all had a great time, and provided some of the entertainment, even if no one could walk the next day after we had done the actions to Pfarrer Gottfried Heinzmann's song!"
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 8 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
There was also a civic reception, hosted by mayor of Royston, Cllr Paul Grimes, while another highlight of the weekend was a river cruise and buffet lunch on the Norfolk Broads, which was partly funded by a Community Chest award from Royston Town Council.
Grossalmerode is a small town in central Germany, with a population of just over 7,000.
Claire said that a party from Royston would be making a return visit to Germany next summer.
She added: "Also next May we will be hosting a visit from our French twin town, La Loupe.
"The friendships and activities promise to be just as exciting.