Torchbearers urged to step forward by Royston 2012
CALLS for Olympic torchbearers to step forward in Crow Country have been made by the Royston 2012 committee.
Although the exact route of the torch has not yet been decided it is known that the torch will be in Cambridge on July 7 and Luton the following day – possibly passing through North Herts.
Last week North Herts District Council appealed to the public to put themselves forward to be among the 8,000 torchbearers – a plea supported by Les Baker, vice chairman of Royston 2012, a group that supports the games at a grassroots level.
“If we had the official torch we would do everything possible to see its arrival here and passage through the town would be as successful as possible.
“We support the message that went out last week about having torchbearers who come from the area and how we can be a part of it.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Baker said although he did not know if the torch would pass through the town and ultimately may not, there will be festivities regardless.
To nominate someone to run a 300-metre leg you must write a statement of 150 words describing why they should carry the torch and send it to the London 2012 committee by the end of the month.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 8 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown
- 10 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
To apply log on to www.london2012.com/games/olympic-torch-relay.