Toddler raises over �500 for charity
A TODDLER has raised over �500 for a hospice which cared for a family friend who lost a battle against cancer.
Ruby Wallington of Tower Close, Bassingbourn, took part in The Garden House Hospice’s Toddlethon at Letchworth Leisure Centre.
The three-year-old’s mother Jane said: “She raised the money by telling everyone at her school about it and with her being three I have done quite a bit of the fundraising, and the family have helped as well.”
Ruby took part in memory of Barbara Sadler, 55, of Meldreth, who died on Christmas Eve 2010, after having been diagnosed with the disease four months earlier, and having spent time at the hospice.
“She didn’t have any grandchildren, and when Ruby and her little sister Jessica visited it would make her day, it would brighten up the room for her,” said Jane, 27.
I told Ruby about this and she wanted to do it. I’m really proud of her. ”
“It was more of a fun thing for her. There wasn’t any pressure to get round, and she spent as long as possible on the trampoline.”
- 1 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 2 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 5 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 6 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 7 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 10 Up on the roof: Choir sings from top of 163ft chapel tower at Cambridge college
Ruby raised �556 at the event, which was specially designed for youngsters, and saw them complete laps of a gymnastic circuit.
Jo Wiffen, community fundraiser for the hospice, said: “I want to thank everyone and say how grateful we are to all the children who took part.
“They pledged �2200 on the day, and they all had a good time.
“For Ruby to raise so much money is wonderful, so thank you to everyone who sponsored her.”
Donations can still be made at www.justgiving.com/rubyjoy