Time Team archaeologist helps launch local history project
- Credit: Archant
ARCHAEOLOGIST Dr Carenza Lewis helped launch a village history project on Saturday.
Dr Lewis, a former presenter on the Channel Four show Time Team, gave a talk to more than 100 people who attended an event to mark the start of Meldreth Local History Group’s test pit project at Meldreth Village Hall.
She and her team from Cambridge University will assist volunteers as they dig 20-30 test pits at various locations around the village. It is hoped these will provide some insight into Meldreth’s history and development.
A spokesman for the group said: “After the talk, villagers queued up to register their interest in having a test pit in their garden or to offer to help with the project. The selection of the final sites for test pits will begin towards the end of April, so if any Meldreth residents would like to express an interest in having a test pit in their garden but have not yet contacted the group, they are urged to do so by April 21.
“We would also like to hear from those who would like to offer to help dig a test pit elsewhere in the village. Help will also be needed with the washing and recording of finds and with providing refreshments.”
You may also want to watch:
In addition to residents from Meldreth, volunteers have come forward from neighbouring villages, Royston and as far afield as Burwell.
As reported in the Crow in November, £7,000 of funding for the project has been received from the Heritage Lottery fund. Digging will take place over three weekends: June 8-9, July 6-7 and August 17-18.
- 1 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 2 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 7 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 8 Tribute to beloved mum, friend and artist Debbie Horabin
- 9 Political row over South Cambs new town proposal
- 10 Thief pleads guilty to assaulting two people
Anyone interested in finding out more can attend the Meldreth Local History Group’s AGM, which will be taking place on Monday April 8 at 10.30am in the Sheltered Housing Community Room, Elin Way, Meldreth.
For further details email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Kathryn Betts on 01763 268428.