Thriplow Daffodil Weekend wins the MBE of volunteering
A TEAM of dedicated Crow Country volunteers have won a prestigious award considered the MBE of unpaid work.
The Thriplow Daffodil Weekend has raised money for charity for over 40 years and for their tireless work received The Queens Award for Voluntary Service.
“The award is a very welcome accolade that recognises the charitable work not only from this and previous committees but the great volunteering spirit amongst the whole of the Thriplow community,” said Tim Holmes chairman of the group.
The winners were announced on June 2 and The Thriplow Daffodil Weekend received the honour for their efforts as a community operation in raising funds to benefit other local charitable groups.
Lynne Turner, who is responsible for publicising the event, said: “Thriplow should be very proud of this achievement - it is an award for the whole village.
You may also want to watch:
“To think that Thriplow Daffodil Weekend has been able to raise over �300,000 for charity since it began in 1969 is amazing.”
The charity weekend event last took place in March and raised funds for Red2Green, a charity which aims to help the disabled enjoy better life opportunities.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
As well as picking a single external charity organisations from across the country can pitch stalls to raise funds.