This sporting life
Melbourn Community Sports Club s new facilities were officially launched – with one of the centre s original trustees on hand to help. Mary Course, was one of the initial helpers when the centre s swimming pool was opened in 1981. For a number of years,
Melbourn Community Sports Club's new facilities were officially launched - with one of the centre's original trustees on hand to help.
Mary Course, was one of the initial helpers when the centre's swimming pool was opened in 1981.
For a number of years, Mrs Course has helped with projects and developments within and around the centre.
To honour her work at the centre based at Melbourn Village College, Mrs Course was asked to cut the official opening ribbon, along with South Cambridgeshire District Council chairman Cicely Murfitt.
You may also want to watch:
Duty manager Graham Johnson-Mack said: "The day went really well and we had a very successful turnout.
"It was also good to have Mary back, as she's done a lot of volunteer work for many years. It was nice to recognise that."
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
The event provided an opportunity for the centre's supporters and fund-raisers to get together and celebrate the new gym and outdoor courts that have been added to the existing swimming pool.
Since the centre opened in July it has been well received.
Mr Johnson-Mack added: "Comments have specifically been made about the friendliness and support from the staff in the gym."
The celebrations round up a project that has taken more than five years to complete, with funds being donated by South Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambridgeshire County Council, and Sport England.
- To find out more information about the activities taking place at Melbourn Community Sports Club call 01763 263313.