These monthly sessions at Royston’s library are just the job for new recruits
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
The Royston Job Club is run by a Jobcentre Plus work coach and Royston & District Volunteer Centre and offers friendly, informal advice on a drop in basis between 1pm and 4pm at Royston Library on the last Wednesday of each month, except December.
You can just pop in for a chat about how gaining experience and skills through volunteering can boost your self-confidence and make you more employable, get free access to computers, assistance with searching for jobs and volunteering opportunities, help with the internet and CV writing, help with job applications and the chance to meet new people and share your experiences.
Many organisations offering volunteering opportunities provide excellent training, meaning while you may not initially be earning a wage, you will be gaining fantastic new skills to boost your CV as well as up-to-date references which could help you find paid employment further down the line.
Remember that volunteering offers two potential streams of employment – you may find a paid job opportunity arises at the organisation where you are volunteering or you could use the skills you have gained through volunteering to help you find a job elsewhere.
Many people who find new jobs continue volunteering in some way after they return to paid employment because they have enjoyed the experience so much.
The first job club in 2016 will be held on Wednesday, January 27, and we look forward to seeing you there!
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 9 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 10 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
You can find the Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk