These monthly sessions at Royston’s library are just the job for new recruits
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
The Royston Job Club is run by a Jobcentre Plus work coach and Royston & District Volunteer Centre and offers friendly, informal advice on a drop in basis between 1pm and 4pm at Royston Library on the last Wednesday of each month, except December.
You can just pop in for a chat about how gaining experience and skills through volunteering can boost your self-confidence and make you more employable, get free access to computers, assistance with searching for jobs and volunteering opportunities, help with the internet and CV writing, help with job applications and the chance to meet new people and share your experiences.
Many organisations offering volunteering opportunities provide excellent training, meaning while you may not initially be earning a wage, you will be gaining fantastic new skills to boost your CV as well as up-to-date references which could help you find paid employment further down the line.
Remember that volunteering offers two potential streams of employment – you may find a paid job opportunity arises at the organisation where you are volunteering or you could use the skills you have gained through volunteering to help you find a job elsewhere.
You may also want to watch:
Many people who find new jobs continue volunteering in some way after they return to paid employment because they have enjoyed the experience so much.
The first job club in 2016 will be held on Wednesday, January 27, and we look forward to seeing you there!
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
You can find the Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk