Therfield Heath users are the losers here, say Conservators after land swap application refusal
- Credit: Archant
The clerk to the Conservators of Therfield Heath and Greens has said “the losers here are all the users of the heath” – in response to the Planning Inspectorate’s decision to refuse the land swap application.
The inspector’s decision was announced on Friday, more than three months after the conclusion of the eight-day public inquiry in which he heard evidence from supporters and objectors of the application to deregister heathland near Sun Hill and Briary Lane and replace it with woodland west of New Road in Therfield
The Conservators of Therfield Heath and Greens – who manage the heath and also operate as trustees of the Therfield Regulation Trust, which owns the site – gave evidence saying that the possible £1.4 million raised from selling the land would be reinvested into running costs and sporting facilities.
Conservators clerk David Smith told the Crow this morning: “Conservators are naturally disappointed with the Planning Inspectorate’s decision. They will now consider their options for both the immediate and long-term future.
“The losers here are all the users of the heath. The growth of Royston and district means increased pressure on the heath.
You may also want to watch:
“There is a real need for increased spending to maintain the heath for all the users at this unique and precious place.”
- 1 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 2 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 3 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 4 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 5 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 6 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 7 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 8 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 9 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 10 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'