The skies will be lighting up on Fireworks Night in Royston and beyond - thanks to volunteers who help stage spectactular displays
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
Remember, remember – it’s the fifth of November. Today’s the traditional day for spectacular annual firework displays that light up the skies across the area to thrill thousands of spectators of all ages.
These fantastic events bring our community together in fun and friendship – but they would not happen without the sterling work of so many volunteers.
These are the people you will meet at an evening event in their high-vis jackets – selling tickets, stewarding the event to keep you safe, selling refreshments and manning the car park.
Others will have been busy during the day building the fire and setting up the fireworks for the displays. Many of them will be there well after you have left and probably be back the next day to help clear up.
You may also want to watch:
And spare a thought for the volunteers on the organising committees who will have been having planning meetings throughout the year to make sure all runs smoothly on the night, as well as promoting their display by putting leaflets through doors and posters all over the town.
So as you look up into the sky at the vivid colours cascading in the dark, watch the children enjoying their sparklers and feel the heat of the bonfire, remember, remember the vital volunteers as well.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
And from all of us at the Volunteer Centre to all you brilliant volunteers out there who put in so much effort for our enjoyment, many of you contributing every year, a big thank you – your hard work is much appreciated.
You can find the Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk