The race is on to recruit supporters who will help Bassingbourn runs build on their success
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
On your marks, this week we’re offering you the chance to enjoy a fantastic day out and help runners who are supporting worthwhile charities.
The team at the Fit4thechallenge events organisation run the annual Bassingbourn ‘Brainstrust’ Half Marathon and the companion Bass Belle 10 mile event, held on the first Sunday of July and the last Sunday in November.
The events support the brain cancer charity Brainstrust and Tom’s Trust, which supports children affected by brain cancer and their families.
Friendly and sociable people are needed to join the marshalling team at these events.
They are looking for help with a range of activities from car park marshalling and course marshalling to helping out at the race headquarters and handing out medals and refreshments to the finishers.
You may also want to watch:
Helpers are also needed to signpost runners to the start/finish point, the baggage area, toilets and other key destinations.
Volunteers must be at least 17 years old, have access to a mobile phone and have their own transport. Volunteers may be required to lift equipment but all will be done under supervision. If you’re looking to be a course marshal you will get training and appropriate hi-vis clothing.
- 1 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 2 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 3 Missing teen found safe and well
- 4 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 5 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 6 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 7 Party leaders respond to election result in North Herts
- 8 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Letchworth triumph over Royston in inaugural match
All volunteers will get a drink and something to eat to thank them for helping out.
All you need to do is choose how you would like to help out, put the dates in your diary and contact us.
You can find the Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email email@example.com or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk