The countdown begins to find Herbie’s Bar and Grill in Melbourn a new home
- Credit: Archant
A much-loved Melbourn bar and grill restaurant which will be closing its doors in just 10 weeks is calling on the public’s help to find a new premises.
Herbie’s Bar and Grill will serve up its last Sloppy Joes and Philly Cheese Steaks at its High Street home on Wednesday, December 23, and the owners have until Tuesday, January 5 to move out.
But despite searching for places all over the town, nowhere seems to be available to rent.
Owner Paul Herbert said: “We are moving out of the premises in Melbourn as the rent is too high, it was unaffordable.
“We don’t have enough people in Melbourn coming, we get about 100 people from the village visiting regularly.
You may also want to watch:
“We get lots of people driving from places like Royston, Stevenage and Cambridge.
“We agreed with the landlord we will move out over Christmas, but we can’t find anywhere to move to.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 3 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 4 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 5 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 6 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 The bells are back in town!
- 9 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 10 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
“We have looked at two premises in Royston High Street that are empty, but North Herts District Council said it would be very unlikely that we would get a change of use licence as they want to keep the High Street for shops.
“Ideally we would be at a roadside venue, somewhere maybe on the A10 or A505.”
Paul’s wife Claire is from Royston and the pair are keen to stay around the area. He said: “We like doing what we are doing. It’s something we have always done.
“We would rather stay here, where we have our roots.”
The news that Herbie’s is leaving Melbourn has caused concern among regular customers.
Laura Whitford from Royston said: “We must find Herbie’s a new home in Royston.
“It’s an amazing diner with a great atmosphere and equally great food.
“I’m a vegetarian and they make the best veggie burgers I’ve ever had.
“My friends have travelled from other parts of Hertfordshire just to go and they all love it too.”
Ben Underwood from Puckeridge is one such visitor.
He said: “I’d say I like it because it’s unlike anything else nearby, where you can get a great taste of the USA – not just in the food but in the whole atmosphere.”