The countdown begins to find Herbie’s Bar and Grill in Melbourn a new home
- Credit: Archant
A much-loved Melbourn bar and grill restaurant which will be closing its doors in just 10 weeks is calling on the public’s help to find a new premises.
Herbie’s Bar and Grill will serve up its last Sloppy Joes and Philly Cheese Steaks at its High Street home on Wednesday, December 23, and the owners have until Tuesday, January 5 to move out.
But despite searching for places all over the town, nowhere seems to be available to rent.
Owner Paul Herbert said: “We are moving out of the premises in Melbourn as the rent is too high, it was unaffordable.
“We don’t have enough people in Melbourn coming, we get about 100 people from the village visiting regularly.
You may also want to watch:
“We get lots of people driving from places like Royston, Stevenage and Cambridge.
“We agreed with the landlord we will move out over Christmas, but we can’t find anywhere to move to.
- 1 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 5 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 6 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 7 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 8 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 9 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
“We have looked at two premises in Royston High Street that are empty, but North Herts District Council said it would be very unlikely that we would get a change of use licence as they want to keep the High Street for shops.
“Ideally we would be at a roadside venue, somewhere maybe on the A10 or A505.”
Paul’s wife Claire is from Royston and the pair are keen to stay around the area. He said: “We like doing what we are doing. It’s something we have always done.
“We would rather stay here, where we have our roots.”
The news that Herbie’s is leaving Melbourn has caused concern among regular customers.
Laura Whitford from Royston said: “We must find Herbie’s a new home in Royston.
“It’s an amazing diner with a great atmosphere and equally great food.
“I’m a vegetarian and they make the best veggie burgers I’ve ever had.
“My friends have travelled from other parts of Hertfordshire just to go and they all love it too.”
Ben Underwood from Puckeridge is one such visitor.
He said: “I’d say I like it because it’s unlike anything else nearby, where you can get a great taste of the USA – not just in the food but in the whole atmosphere.”