‘The children were very excited’ – South Cambs MP opens new Guilden Morden preschool
- Credit: Alan Millard
Youngsters got the chance to welcome the MP for South Cambs at an official opening ceremony for a new preschool classroom in Guilden Morden on Friday.
Heidi Allen was delighted to cut the ribbon at a ceremony at Guilden Morden Church of England Primary School in Pound Green.
Mrs Allen said: “I am so pleased this new preschool is now open and will offer parents another choice of local childcare provider.
“I am certain the variety of day sessions and clubs the school offers will provide great flexibility to the needs of families.”
The new purpose built preschool offers 15 hours free childcare per week and will be offering the full 30 hours per week of childcare to eligible families when the increased government funding starts.
You may also want to watch:
Day sessions are available for children aged two and above and breakfast and after school clubs are available to children aged three and above.
The preschoolers will have a purpose built cloakroom and bathrooms and an outdoor play area. With the preschool facility on-site, the older children are able to join in some of the primary school activities such as assemblies and playtimes to ensure a smooth transition into primary school when the time comes. The building also benefits from a kitchen area to allow breakfast and high tea to be served to children attending before and after school club.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Chocks away! Phillips and Nunn bag Spitfire Salver at Heydon Grange Golf Club
The expansion comes after the school became part of The Diocese of Ely Multi-Academy Trust, and Mrs Allen added: “This is a key event in the history of Guilden Morden Church of England Primary School and follows academisation which is going from strength to strength.”
School headteacher Alan Wright told the Crow: “I think it will be a real asset to the school to have a dedicated classroom for the preschool and after school club within the school building.
“The children all enjoyed choosing the name for the new classroom. There were a few whacky entries, but ‘The Ark’ was chosen by pupil Eve Warren and was picked as the winner. And it’s fitting as we all our classes are named after animals, and we are a Church of England school.
“The children were very excited about the ribbon cutting ceremony. They enjoyed meeting Heidi Allen and sang two songs for her.”
Afterwards the attendees were treated to cakes and refreshments provided by the PTFA.
For more on the school visit www.guildenmorden.cambs.sch.uk