The chair is waiting, so why not take this seat and help Royston Mencap to thrive?
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
Royston and District Mencap, established in 1966, is run by a committee of eight volunteers who work together to support people with a learning disability and their families and carers.
Together they fight for equal rights, campaign for greater opportunities and challenge attitudes and prejudice.
They also provide advice and support to meet people’s needs throughout their lives and provide social opportunities for members and their carers.
To ensure that this established community organisation continues to thrive, a new committee member is needed to join the team to assist the current chair, before becoming the new chair at the annual meeting at the end of the year.
You may also want to watch:
You would be joining a vibrant committee which values teamwork and mutual support and whose members are passionate about what they do.
Key to the role are good leadership skills along with a sound knowledge of IT and social media.
- 1 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 2 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 5 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 6 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 7 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 8 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 9 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
You will need to be caring, patient, positive and outgoing and a ready sense of humour and good communication skills are desirable.
Some experience and understanding of people affected by learning difficulties would be helpful.
Evening meetings are held six times a year with social events in between providing opportunities for fun and friendship with members.
Royston Mencap also runs the popular Tuesday Club for adult members where volunteers provide craft activities, evening discos and outings as part of their full social programme.
This is a chance to make a real difference in our community so please contact us so that we can put you in touch.
You can find the Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk