Tesco decides to ban check-out plastic bags
DISPOSABLE plastic bags are no longer available at the checkouts of Tesco Royston, as the store takes steps to become more environmentally friendly. From this week, shoppers will only be given disposable plastic bags if they specifically request them from
DISPOSABLE plastic bags are no longer available at the checkouts of Tesco Royston, as the store takes steps to become more environmentally friendly.
From this week, shoppers will only be given disposable plastic bags if they specifically request them from staff.
Linda Wiltshire, cash and services manager at Royston Tesco, said: "We want to help reduce plastic bags in landfill sites and protect the environment.
"Customers will still be able to get plastic bags if they ask for them, but we will only be displaying reusable bags for life," she said.
You may also want to watch:
The move comes two months after North Hertfordshire District Council announced a three- point plan aimed at reducing the number of plastic bags in use in the district.
Cllr Lynda Needham, portfolio holder for waste and the environment, said at the time that she believed the plan was "a positive move, which we believe will get the support of retailers and customers alike".
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
In March, Somerfield supermarket in Royston began issuing "bags for life" in exchange for plastic bags.