Tesco decides to ban check-out plastic bags
DISPOSABLE plastic bags are no longer available at the checkouts of Tesco Royston, as the store takes steps to become more environmentally friendly. From this week, shoppers will only be given disposable plastic bags if they specifically request them from
DISPOSABLE plastic bags are no longer available at the checkouts of Tesco Royston, as the store takes steps to become more environmentally friendly.
From this week, shoppers will only be given disposable plastic bags if they specifically request them from staff.
Linda Wiltshire, cash and services manager at Royston Tesco, said: "We want to help reduce plastic bags in landfill sites and protect the environment.
"Customers will still be able to get plastic bags if they ask for them, but we will only be displaying reusable bags for life," she said.
You may also want to watch:
The move comes two months after North Hertfordshire District Council announced a three- point plan aimed at reducing the number of plastic bags in use in the district.
Cllr Lynda Needham, portfolio holder for waste and the environment, said at the time that she believed the plan was "a positive move, which we believe will get the support of retailers and customers alike".
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
In March, Somerfield supermarket in Royston began issuing "bags for life" in exchange for plastic bags.