Tennis fan Guy nets cash for charity
450km trek awaits fundraiser
A TENNIS enthusiast is getting on his bike and cycling to France to raise money for charity.
Guy Tremayne is making the 450km trek to Roland Garros, the home of the French Open event. The money he collects will be split equally between the Alzheimer’s Society, and the Grove Tennis club, near Saffron Walden, who are hoping to upgrade their youth facilities.
The Alzheimer’s Society is nominated charity of the year at Johnson Matthey’s Royston plant, where Mr Tremayne works.
He will begin his marathon pedal at the tennis club next week, and hopes to arrive at the Roland Garros venue, outside Paris, in time for the start of the French Open next weekend.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Tremayne said: “Since embarking on this challenge, I’ve come to appreciate just how many people are directly impacted by Alzheimer’s, and the future of the club is close to my heart.
“The artificial clay surface is a fantastic resource for nurturing today’s talent and has also effectively increased court capacity by 25 per cent, as everyone now wants to play on it. Who knows, maybe it could contribute to the development of a French Open champion in the years to come.”
- 1 Woman in her 50s killed in crash between Melbourn and Royston
- 2 Road closed after 'serious' crash on A10
- 3 'FOI request refusal leaves residents in darkness'
- 4 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 7 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 8 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 9 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 10 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
Johnson Matthey will match any donations to the Alzheimer’s charity as part of their charity of the year scheme, and Mr Tremayne will be kept on the road thanks to the help and expertise of local businessman Steve Meikle, from Royston Cycles.
To pledge your support, visit www.justgiving.com/court5.