Teen aiming for model success
A TEENAGER from Royston is aiming to fulfil her lifelong ambition of competing in a modelling competition.
Sian Owen, 13, is in the final 50 of the Teen Princess UK competition, and now needs votes in order to progress to the final in August next year.
The Greneway pupil was spotted by organisers while in the audience at a fashion show in November.
Cherie Owen, Sian’s mother, said: “We went to the Britain’s Next Top Model show at the Excel Centre in London.
“Someone spotted Sian in the audience and asked if she would pose with a whiteboard, and fill in some details, and we thought nothing more if it.
You may also want to watch:
“A couple of weeks later we got a phone call asking if she could come for a photoshoot in London.”
Sian then went down to NW1 Studios with thousands of other 13 to 15 year olds from around the UK, and was selected to be in the final 50 for the month.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
“At first I asked what the catch was, like all mums would, but when they explained it was a good way for Sian to get into modelling I knew she had to go,” said Cherie.
“They whittle the contestants down to 50 per month. The two with the most votes for each month go through to the final in London in August, and could even go on to the world finals in America.”
Sian is excited about the prospect of making it to the final and emulating her heroes.
She said: “I have wanted to be a model since I can remember, since I was really little. I just love fashion, and love my idols Tyra Banks and Gok Wan, who my dog is named after!”
“I’m not sure how much of a chance I have, but I’m trying my hardest to get votes.”
People wanting to support Sian have until 11.30pm on January 1 to vote, by texting Sian Owen to 84205, or calling 0901 6561 530. Calls cost 60p, plus standard charges.
For more information and to keep up with the voting visit www.missteenqueenuk.com.