Tears as Chernobyl Children say farewell
ANOTHER visit to Crow Country has drawn to a close for the children from Chernobyl. The children returned to Belarus last Sunday after saying emotional goodbyes to their host families. Nicola Dunklin, Melbourn co-ordinator for charity Friends of Chernobyl
ANOTHER visit to Crow Country has drawn to a close for the children from Chernobyl.
The children returned to Belarus last Sunday after saying emotional goodbyes to their host families.
Nicola Dunklin, Melbourn co-ordinator for charity Friends of Chernobyl's Children, accompanied the children to the airport.
She said: "The farewell tears had stopped by the time we were on the M11 and most of the journey was spent showing each other photo albums and unpacking and
You may also want to watch:
- re-packing all of the hand luggage to great excitement at the precious contents of each bag.
"The children were well set for the long journey home to Mogliev," she said.
- 1 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 2 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 5 I will not stop fighting for our chalk streams, says South Cambs MP
- 6 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 7 Herts covered in blanket of snow as flurries fell on Sunday
- 8 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 9 PCC funding boost sees defibrillators installed across Herts
- 10 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
Thanks to some generous donations, the visitors from Chernobyl returned home with suitcases jam-packed with clothes, toiletries, vitamins & basic medicines.
Mrs Dunklin added: "The children have benefited enormously from a month of clean fresh air, nutritious wholesome food and an amazing programme of activities.
"We cannot thank everyone enough for their continued support, which is so vital for these children."
In the final days of their visit, the children enjoyed a visit to Royston leisure centre and some tennis coaching from Royston tennis club's Matt Fellingham.