Team continue digging to uncover history of Meldreth
- Credit: Archant
Ten new test pits will be dug in Meldreth on Saturday and Sunday as part of a project organised by by Meldreth Local History Group.
The group has received a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) grant to help fund its latest project, Understanding Our Past: Exploring the Hidden History of Meldreth.
In total 30 test pits will be dug in the village, and it is hoped these will lead to many different artefacts beign discovered.
The group’s first digs took place in June, and Kathryn Betts, Secretary of Meldreth Local History Group, said: “Last month it was wonderful to see so many people of all ages becoming involved with our project.
“We are looking forward to another successful weekend of test pitting on July 6 and 7 and are excited to discover what will be found next.”
You may also want to watch:
Seven of the test pits will be open to the public from midday-4pm on Saturday and Sunday. A downloadable map showing the location of the open pits is available from the group’s website www.meldrethhis tory.org.uk or look out for the HLF signs and blue and white balloons around the village.
Anyone wishing to volunteer to help out over the weekend should register in advance with the group by telephoning Kathryn Betts on 01763 268428 or emailing info@meldreth history.org.uk
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire