Tanks for the memory at Duxford
A LIVING history weekend is planned for Duxford Imperial War Museum in June. The event will explore life during the Second World War and include activities and demonstrations. The Second World War Weekend is a new event at the museum and will give visitor
A LIVING history weekend is planned for Duxford Imperial War Museum in June.
The event will explore life during the Second World War and include activities and demonstrations.
The Second World War Weekend is a new event at the museum and will give visitors an insight into what life was like during the dark years of the war.
In the authentic and evocative surroundings of Duxford - which was an RAF airfield during the war - visitors will be able to experience war-time food, music and dancing.
You may also want to watch:
For women there will be a display of war-time fashion and make-up demonstrations - and all visitors will be encouraged to come dressed in appropriate war-time attire. There will be prizes for the best-dressed.
Visitors will be able to try their hand at a wide range of activities from Lindy hopping to playing with war-time toys and games.
- 1 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 2 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 6 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 10 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
Varied talks will also take place throughout the weekend so that visitors can learn first hand about what life was like during the war for those that lived through it.
Alongside all the interactive activities and costumed characters, historic aircraft will grace the skies and perform short display sequences and a selection of military vehicles from Duxford's collection will demonstrate their power and versatility in the tank running arena.
The event will be taking place on June 3-4.
For more details visit the Duxford website at www.iwm.org.uk/duxford