Take it as read - book weekend success
BOOKWORMS flocked to Ashwell for the village s annual book weekend. Thousands of books of all shapes and sizes were on sale throughout the event, in St Mary s Church, in the village. Carolyn Lush, from the organising committee, said: This is the second y
BOOKWORMS flocked to Ashwell for the village's annual book weekend.
Thousands of books of all shapes and sizes were on sale throughout the event, in St Mary's Church, in the village.
Carolyn Lush, from the organising committee, said: "This is the second year we've been able to have it in the church hall, and it makes it so much easier to look through all the books and find what you're looking for."
The amount collected over the weekend has surpassed last year's total, with more than £3,300 being raised for the St Mary's Church restoration appeal.
You may also want to watch:
"This year we've had the restoration of the south aisle to pay for, which cost £170,000," said Carolyn.
"Every little helps, and it's good to get people coming into the church and seeing everything that's going on."
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 4 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 8 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 9 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 10 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
The success of the weekend was largely down to organiser Caroline Feast and her army of volunteers, who spent days sorting the books ahead of the weekend.
Carolyn said: "We separate the fiction and non-fiction, and then put them into categories.
"It takes all week to sort through all the books, but it's an enjoyable task.