Take it as read - book weekend success
BOOKWORMS flocked to Ashwell for the village s annual book weekend. Thousands of books of all shapes and sizes were on sale throughout the event, in St Mary s Church, in the village. Carolyn Lush, from the organising committee, said: This is the second y
BOOKWORMS flocked to Ashwell for the village's annual book weekend.
Thousands of books of all shapes and sizes were on sale throughout the event, in St Mary's Church, in the village.
Carolyn Lush, from the organising committee, said: "This is the second year we've been able to have it in the church hall, and it makes it so much easier to look through all the books and find what you're looking for."
The amount collected over the weekend has surpassed last year's total, with more than £3,300 being raised for the St Mary's Church restoration appeal.
"This year we've had the restoration of the south aisle to pay for, which cost £170,000," said Carolyn.
"Every little helps, and it's good to get people coming into the church and seeing everything that's going on."
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 3 William and Kate unveil their first official portrait at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 4 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 5 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 6 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 7 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
The success of the weekend was largely down to organiser Caroline Feast and her army of volunteers, who spent days sorting the books ahead of the weekend.
Carolyn said: "We separate the fiction and non-fiction, and then put them into categories.
"It takes all week to sort through all the books, but it's an enjoyable task.