Take it as read - book weekend success
BOOKWORMS flocked to Ashwell for the village s annual book weekend. Thousands of books of all shapes and sizes were on sale throughout the event, in St Mary s Church, in the village. Carolyn Lush, from the organising committee, said: This is the second y
BOOKWORMS flocked to Ashwell for the village's annual book weekend.
Thousands of books of all shapes and sizes were on sale throughout the event, in St Mary's Church, in the village.
Carolyn Lush, from the organising committee, said: "This is the second year we've been able to have it in the church hall, and it makes it so much easier to look through all the books and find what you're looking for."
The amount collected over the weekend has surpassed last year's total, with more than £3,300 being raised for the St Mary's Church restoration appeal.
You may also want to watch:
"This year we've had the restoration of the south aisle to pay for, which cost £170,000," said Carolyn.
"Every little helps, and it's good to get people coming into the church and seeing everything that's going on."
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
The success of the weekend was largely down to organiser Caroline Feast and her army of volunteers, who spent days sorting the books ahead of the weekend.
Carolyn said: "We separate the fiction and non-fiction, and then put them into categories.
"It takes all week to sort through all the books, but it's an enjoyable task.