Students jump for joy in pursuit of national title
A GROUP of students from Freman College in Buntingford will be getting on their high horses to win a national competition. The school s new show jumping team consists of four pupils who will be cantering off to the National Schools Equestrian Association
A GROUP of students from Freman College in Buntingford will be getting on their high horses to win a national competition.
The school's new show jumping team consists of four pupils who will be cantering off to the National Schools' Equestrian Association's Inter-school Team and Individual Show Jumping Competition in Kent.
The team, set up at the beginning of the term, consists of Harriet Jones, 13, Josie Clarke, 14, Georgina Weedon, 13 and her brother Henry, 16.
Head teacher Helen Loughran said: "I think it is fantastic that we have students representing the college in show jumping.
You may also want to watch:
"Many of our students are very keen riders and it is great that they now have the opportunity to represent the college in this sport."
The club was formed thanks to sports teacher Kirsty Downs who was a member of the national junior team winning her class in the Horse of the Year show at Wembley in 1998.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
Georgina Weedon achieved success at a national level in December when she came top in her class against 200 others.
She beat a member of the British junior show jumping team to bag first place.
Georgina and Henry have been riding since they were young and are taught by their parents.
Georgina said: "We are all really looking forward to representing the school in the competition.
"I've been riding since I could walk and really enjoy it, there is a special partnership between the horse and the rider."
The Freman show jumping team will be looking for competition success on February 22.