SLIMMING group members have lost 426 stone between them – the equivalent of two baby elephants. And group leader Jo Mitchell says it is vital to tackle the national obesity problem. Members of Slimming World have shed the weight by adopting a flexible wei
SLIMMING group members have lost 426 stone between them - the equivalent of two baby elephants.
And group leader Jo Mitchell says it is vital to tackle the national obesity problem.
Members of Slimming World have shed the weight by adopting a flexible weightloss plan called Food Optimising which Jo says can fit into anyone's lifestyle.
The weight loss involved 160 members over 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "We are trying to curb the national obesity rate.
"The benefits that members enjoy from losing just 10 per cent of their initial body weight include lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol levels, improved breathing, more energy, and improved self-esteem.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
"Many of these conditions are costing the NHS millions, but people who have lost that 10 per cent are enjoying a huge lifestyle change with many health benefits."
There are 24 million overweight people in the UK and the figure is set to increase.
England has been named Europe's most overweight country, and obesity is costing the average Primary Care Trust £17.5million each year.
Jo said: "At Slimming World groups you can be assured of a warm welcome with lots of help, motivation and advice along the way, in a safe and non-judgemental environment."
A new Slimming World group has opened at the Houses of Parliament, following a meeting at the House of Lords last December, when members were addressed by slimmers who had achieved their weight loss goals.
The Royston groups are held on Mondays at 5pm and 7pm at the Royston Evangelical Church, and Tuesdays at 7pm and Wednesdays at 9.30am at the town hall.
For more information call Jo on 01763 247875 or Susan Howard on 01763 247550.