Still no update on ‘Waitrose to Royston’ bid
- Credit: Archant
After proposing an update ‘in the near future’ back in October, there is still no news from Waitrose about plans to introduce a supermarket to Royston.
It was announced in December 2014 that a multi-million pound store would open as part of the Royston Gateway Project on the A505, which would create about 130 jobs in the town.
A spokesman for Waitrose remains tight-lipped about any progress for the site.
He said: “The process can often be a little protracted, but we are continuing our discussions with the developer and hope to provide an update soon.”
Plans for the development were dealt a blow back in May last year, when technology firm Johnson Matthey – which planned to have a storage facility on the site – pulled out of the scheme.
You may also want to watch:
At the time, Chris Bennett, managing director of the Emission Control Technology branch of the company, which planned to use the storage facility, said: “In the course of the project it became possible to revisit the idea of utilising an existing warehouse located within a reasonable distance of our facility and, fortuitously, several had become available.”
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 5 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 8 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton