Still no update on ‘Waitrose to Royston’ bid
- Credit: Archant
After proposing an update ‘in the near future’ back in October, there is still no news from Waitrose about plans to introduce a supermarket to Royston.
It was announced in December 2014 that a multi-million pound store would open as part of the Royston Gateway Project on the A505, which would create about 130 jobs in the town.
A spokesman for Waitrose remains tight-lipped about any progress for the site.
He said: “The process can often be a little protracted, but we are continuing our discussions with the developer and hope to provide an update soon.”
Plans for the development were dealt a blow back in May last year, when technology firm Johnson Matthey – which planned to have a storage facility on the site – pulled out of the scheme.
You may also want to watch:
At the time, Chris Bennett, managing director of the Emission Control Technology branch of the company, which planned to use the storage facility, said: “In the course of the project it became possible to revisit the idea of utilising an existing warehouse located within a reasonable distance of our facility and, fortuitously, several had become available.”
- 1 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 2 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 3 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 4 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 5 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 6 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation