Stevenage Colts Yellows 0 Austen Arrowheads 0 TOP of the table Colts came into this match with the impressive record of having won all of their league games so far this season, whereas second placed Austen s only defeat was at the hands of the Colts earl
Stevenage Colts Yellows 0 Austen Arrowheads 0
TOP of the table Colts came into this match with the impressive record of having won all of their league games so far this season, whereas second placed Austen's only defeat was at the hands of the Colts earlier in season, so this was always going to be a close game.
Colts started brightly with some long range efforts but Austen came closest with a delightfully struck side footed shot form Ahmed that beat the Colts keeper, but was diverted to safety via the post by the strong cross wind.
Colts continued to press for an opener and Newport in the Austen goal was the busier keeper but Austen had their chances too.
Courtney made a fine run the length of the pitch and fed the ball to Ahmed but the Colts keeper was alert to the danger and came out to clear.
At the start of the second half Austen went close with a couple of long range Courtney efforts and weak left-foot effort from Thornton that was easily saved by the alert Colts keeper.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 8 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
With the wind in their favour Austen enjoyed some good periods of possession and they thought they had won the match when Ahmed smashed the ball into the net from a tight angle on sixty-six minutes but the ball had gone out of play in the build up.
There was still time for some late minute drama as a long rang Courtney throw bounced through a crowded box and was headed off the line by a Colts defender
In the end this was a quality game of football and fair result for two closely matched teams.