Step back in time for college players
THE classical mythological tale of Orpheus in the Underworld has been brought to life in the shape of an opera by students at Freman College in Buntingford. Offenbach s re-working of the tale includes the can-can and has seen 30 students perform with a sy
THE classical mythological tale of Orpheus in the Underworld has been brought to life in the shape of an opera by students at Freman College in Buntingford.
Offenbach's re-working of the tale includes the can-can and has seen 30 students perform with a symphony orchestra.
Jane Stott, head of music and director, said: "This has been a massive challenge for the students and myself because although I have directed at my previous school, in some ways this production is out of my comfort zone."
Rehearsals for the production started in January.
You may also want to watch:
"There has been quite intensive rehearsing, but everyone has really risen to the challenge.
"We chose to do Orpheus in the Underworld because it is quite challenging for the singers and it improves the chorus singing in the school.
- 1 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 3 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 4 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 5 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 6 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 7 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 8 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 9 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
"Some of our actors are real comedians so it suited them down to the ground."
The operata has been running since Tuesday and will end tonight (Thursday).