Step back in time for college players
THE classical mythological tale of Orpheus in the Underworld has been brought to life in the shape of an opera by students at Freman College in Buntingford. Offenbach s re-working of the tale includes the can-can and has seen 30 students perform with a sy
THE classical mythological tale of Orpheus in the Underworld has been brought to life in the shape of an opera by students at Freman College in Buntingford.
Offenbach's re-working of the tale includes the can-can and has seen 30 students perform with a symphony orchestra.
Jane Stott, head of music and director, said: "This has been a massive challenge for the students and myself because although I have directed at my previous school, in some ways this production is out of my comfort zone."
Rehearsals for the production started in January.
"There has been quite intensive rehearsing, but everyone has really risen to the challenge.
"We chose to do Orpheus in the Underworld because it is quite challenging for the singers and it improves the chorus singing in the school.
- 1 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 2 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
- 6 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 7 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
- 8 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 10 Sign up to Rainbow Run in aid of our hospitals
"Some of our actors are real comedians so it suited them down to the ground."
The operata has been running since Tuesday and will end tonight (Thursday).