Star performance from county council
FOR the fifth year running Herts County Council is among the highest performing local authorities in the country. It has once again been awarded a top four-star rating from the Audit Commission which has judged it to be improving well . Council leader
FOR the fifth year running Herts County Council is among the highest performing local authorities in the country.
It has once again been awarded a top four-star rating from the Audit Commission which has judged it to be "improving well".
Council leader David Beatty said he was delighted with the recognition for the local authority.
"It's important that residents know we are working well and that our staff can be proud of working for a good organisation," he said.
"Our vision is to make Herts an even better place to live and work and the Audit Commission has given strong endorsement of our ability as a council to do this."
The report showed that the county's environment department - the department responsible for highways, waste disposal and road safety - has moved from last year's "performing adequately" to "performing well".
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 8 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
In its summary of the county council's achievements, the Commission said: "The council has made improvements in most key services.
The commission said the county council provided good value for money which had been achieved through more efficient management processes.