Staff and students hand over £3,000 to Pink Run
STAFF and students from Freman College in Buntingford raised more than £3,000 last month s Cancer Reseach UK Pink Ribbon Run/Walk. Sixty four students and 11 staff took part in the 5km event on Therfield Heath. The money raised was presented to Maurice H
STAFF and students from Freman College in Buntingford raised more than £3,000 last month's Cancer Reseach UK Pink Ribbon Run/Walk.
Sixty four students and 11 staff took part in the 5km event on Therfield Heath.
The money raised was presented to Maurice Hill, one of organising committee.
Andrea Roach, head of PE, said: "This is the first year we have entered as a school and the turn out was far beyond our expectations. The sponsorship money has been trickling in over the last few weeks and to get so much is a fantastic achievement."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hill said: "We've had other schools enter, but none have had so many participants. It's an unbelievable effort by all involved.
"One of our sponsors saw the girls arrive and was gobsmacked when he found out they were all from the same school."
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Mr Hill said that £23,000 had already been counted, and that he was "confident" this year's total would break £30,000.
One student, Charlotte Shaw, raised more than £250 by herself, and she will be going to the presentation evening in September to collect a trophy marking her achievement.
Head teacher Helen Loughran, said: "I'm absolutely delighted and so proud of everyone.
"The good thing about this event was that it wasn't just the usual "sporty" types who signed up. It was a real cross section of pupils and staff.