Staff and students at Royston school full of energy with funding boost
- Credit: Archant
Staff and students at a Royston school are full of energy with the news that they have secured funding to the tune of £670,000 for a new boiler and heating system.
The funds to replace the 40-year-old heating system at Roysia Middle School arrives as part of the extra £367 million the government has allocated for investment in buildings at thousands of schools across the country.
The work – which is set to start in the summer holidays – follows the completion of a replacement roof and new windows at the Burns Road school and comes as part of a bid to make energy savings.
Headteacher Zoe Linington said: “We are so pleased that the Education Funding Agency has chosen to invest in Roysia again in this latest round of funding.
“This will help our school to be more environmentally friendly and reduce our carbon footprint.”
You may also want to watch:
Freman College in Buntingford has also received a funding boost of £1.1m to upgrade the walls, windows and roofs at the school in a bid to reduce energy costs and improve comfort in classrooms.
The school is taking on a major upgrade of facilities, having secured £1.2m in funding for a sports hall, and maths and business studies block last year.
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 3 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 4 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 7 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 8 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 9 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 10 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
Headteacher Helen Loughran said: “We are absolutely delighted that the government is supporting our plan to ensure all our facilities match the standard of our fantastic new sports hall.
“Our students and teachers really deserve to be working in the best possible environment and we are really looking forward to getting underway with this exciting development.”
l More schools news, page 6