Staff and students at Royston school full of energy with funding boost
- Credit: Archant
Staff and students at a Royston school are full of energy with the news that they have secured funding to the tune of £670,000 for a new boiler and heating system.
The funds to replace the 40-year-old heating system at Roysia Middle School arrives as part of the extra £367 million the government has allocated for investment in buildings at thousands of schools across the country.
The work – which is set to start in the summer holidays – follows the completion of a replacement roof and new windows at the Burns Road school and comes as part of a bid to make energy savings.
Headteacher Zoe Linington said: “We are so pleased that the Education Funding Agency has chosen to invest in Roysia again in this latest round of funding.
“This will help our school to be more environmentally friendly and reduce our carbon footprint.”
You may also want to watch:
Freman College in Buntingford has also received a funding boost of £1.1m to upgrade the walls, windows and roofs at the school in a bid to reduce energy costs and improve comfort in classrooms.
The school is taking on a major upgrade of facilities, having secured £1.2m in funding for a sports hall, and maths and business studies block last year.
- 1 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Royston woman celebrates 100th birthday after living in town for 53 years
- 4 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 5 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 9 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 10 Three household waste collection crews suspended
Headteacher Helen Loughran said: “We are absolutely delighted that the government is supporting our plan to ensure all our facilities match the standard of our fantastic new sports hall.
“Our students and teachers really deserve to be working in the best possible environment and we are really looking forward to getting underway with this exciting development.”
l More schools news, page 6