Stabbing inspires marathon challenge
A POLICE officer whose friend was stabbed by a knife-wielding gang is running the London marathon for a crime-fighting charity. Maxine Leech, 26, of Pipit Close, Royston, will running the 26.2 mile course on behalf of Crimestoppers. She decided to take
A POLICE officer whose friend was stabbed by a knife-wielding gang is running the London marathon for a crime-fighting charity.
Maxine Leech, 26, of Pipit Close, Royston, will running the 26.2 mile course on behalf of Crimestoppers.
She decided to take on the challenge after a friend was left wheel-chair bound after being repeatedly stabbed in a brutal attack which took place last year.
"I just felt really helpless after the attack, as though there was nothing I could do to make it better," she said.
You may also want to watch:
"He was a completely innocent victim, but has been in hospital for six months now and still has a long road way to go in his rehabilitation.
"Knife crime in this country is scarily frequent, but it's not just knife crime that Crimestoppers tackle, but all types of crime affecting us all at some point in our lives," she added.
- 1 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 2 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 6 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 7 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 10 Missing teen found safe and well
Maxine, who is an officer with the Metropolitan Police, is having to fit her gruelling training schedule in around her shifts. However, she said she is enjoying the challenge.
She said: "I'm up to 16 mile runs now, and it's a real challenge. What keeps me going is knowing how much it means to my friend's family.
"By raising money for Crimestoppers, I'm contributing to a charity which helps take criminals off the streets."
To sponsor Maxine, log on to http://www.justgiving.com/maxineleech. This years London marathon takes place on April 26.