Stabbing inspires marathon challenge
A POLICE officer whose friend was stabbed by a knife-wielding gang is running the London marathon for a crime-fighting charity. Maxine Leech, 26, of Pipit Close, Royston, will running the 26.2 mile course on behalf of Crimestoppers. She decided to take
A POLICE officer whose friend was stabbed by a knife-wielding gang is running the London marathon for a crime-fighting charity.
Maxine Leech, 26, of Pipit Close, Royston, will running the 26.2 mile course on behalf of Crimestoppers.
She decided to take on the challenge after a friend was left wheel-chair bound after being repeatedly stabbed in a brutal attack which took place last year.
"I just felt really helpless after the attack, as though there was nothing I could do to make it better," she said.
You may also want to watch:
"He was a completely innocent victim, but has been in hospital for six months now and still has a long road way to go in his rehabilitation.
"Knife crime in this country is scarily frequent, but it's not just knife crime that Crimestoppers tackle, but all types of crime affecting us all at some point in our lives," she added.
- 1 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 2 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 8 A mental health first aider offers advice on coping during lockdown
- 9 'We're breaking' - Lister Hospital staff 'tearful' and 'on their knees' as COVID cases double
- 10 Tribute to beloved mum, friend and artist Debbie Horabin
Maxine, who is an officer with the Metropolitan Police, is having to fit her gruelling training schedule in around her shifts. However, she said she is enjoying the challenge.
She said: "I'm up to 16 mile runs now, and it's a real challenge. What keeps me going is knowing how much it means to my friend's family.
"By raising money for Crimestoppers, I'm contributing to a charity which helps take criminals off the streets."
To sponsor Maxine, log on to http://www.justgiving.com/maxineleech. This years London marathon takes place on April 26.