Sporting change for the better
A SCHOOL has unveiled its newly refurbished changing rooms with the help of an MP and a former professional footballer. Roysia Middle School in Burns Road officially opened their new changing facilities after five months of development. And on hand to c
A SCHOOL has unveiled its newly refurbished changing rooms with the help of an MP and a former professional footballer.
Roysia Middle School in Burns Road officially opened their new changing facilities after five months of development.
And on hand to cut the ribbon was Royston's MP Oliver Heald and Watford Football Club assistant manager and former Tottenham Hotspur boss Keith Burkinshaw.
The £210,000 project, which was partly funded by Hertfordshire County Council, was initially the aim of former headteacher Vince Davies.
You may also want to watch:
School manager Elaine Stamford said: "This was a momentous occasion for the school as we have waited 20 years for the project to be undertaken.
"During that time the pupils have had to put up with sub-standard facilities that didn't match up to the quality of the sport they play.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
"So they are very excited at the bright modern new facilities that are now on offer.
"The feedback from them has been very positive - they are now happy to use the showers!
"The whole school had a lovely day and this is a very memorable moment - the facilities are fantastic."
The changing rooms feature excellent ventilation systems, increased space and high quality showers.
The school said it was extremely pleased to have Mr Davies, Mr Heald, and Mr Burkinshaw there for the occasion.
Mrs Stamford added: "The pupils were so excited to see Keith, to the point he was mobbed.
"He signed lots of autographs, and even signed a couple of shirts.
"He was very responsive towards all the pupils, especially one Watford fan!