Sporting change for the better
A SCHOOL has unveiled its newly refurbished changing rooms with the help of an MP and a former professional footballer. Roysia Middle School in Burns Road officially opened their new changing facilities after five months of development. And on hand to c
A SCHOOL has unveiled its newly refurbished changing rooms with the help of an MP and a former professional footballer.
Roysia Middle School in Burns Road officially opened their new changing facilities after five months of development.
And on hand to cut the ribbon was Royston's MP Oliver Heald and Watford Football Club assistant manager and former Tottenham Hotspur boss Keith Burkinshaw.
The £210,000 project, which was partly funded by Hertfordshire County Council, was initially the aim of former headteacher Vince Davies.
School manager Elaine Stamford said: "This was a momentous occasion for the school as we have waited 20 years for the project to be undertaken.
"During that time the pupils have had to put up with sub-standard facilities that didn't match up to the quality of the sport they play.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
"So they are very excited at the bright modern new facilities that are now on offer.
"The feedback from them has been very positive - they are now happy to use the showers!
"The whole school had a lovely day and this is a very memorable moment - the facilities are fantastic."
The changing rooms feature excellent ventilation systems, increased space and high quality showers.
The school said it was extremely pleased to have Mr Davies, Mr Heald, and Mr Burkinshaw there for the occasion.
Mrs Stamford added: "The pupils were so excited to see Keith, to the point he was mobbed.
"He signed lots of autographs, and even signed a couple of shirts.
"He was very responsive towards all the pupils, especially one Watford fan!