SOUTH CAMBS: Surinder Soond of the Liberal Democrats is the new Meldreth district councillor
LIBERAL Democrat Surinder Soond will represent Meldreth on South Cambridgeshire District Council. Mr Soond, who stood for the Lib Dems in place of outgoing district councillor Susan van de Ven, was successful in yesterday s district council ballot, pic
LIBERAL Democrat Surinder Soond will represent Meldreth on South Cambridgeshire District Council.
Mr Soond, who stood for the Lib Dems in place of outgoing district councillor Susan van de Ven, was successful in yesterday's district council ballot, picking up 717 votes.
This put him well ahead of nearest challenger Duncan Bullivant (Conservative), who got 474 votes.
Hywel Jackson scored 102 votes for the Labour Party, one ahead of David Kendrick of UKIP (101). The Green Party's Colin Reynolds polled 39 votes.
You may also want to watch:
Turn out was high across the district, and Meldreth was no exception, with 75.75 per cent
of registered voters having their say.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 3 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 4 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 5 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 6 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 7 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 8 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued