South Cambs MP Heidi Allen calls for Boris Johnson to be sacked after Libya comments
- Credit: Archant
South Cambs MP Heidi Allen has called for Boris Johnson to be sacked from his role in Government over comments made about Libya.
Foriegn secretary Mr Johnson said at a Conservative conference fringe meeting yesterday evening that the Libyan city of Sirte could be the next Dubai – and added that “the only thing they have got to do is clear the dead bodies away”.
Mrs Allen took to Twitter last night to voice her dismay and said: “100 per cent unacceptable from anyone, let alone foreign sec. Boris must be sacked for this. He does not represent my party.”
Conservative MP Anna Soubry replied to Mrs Allen, saying: “As I said yesterday #borisjohnson is embarrassing and PM should sack him.”
Mr Johnson later tweeted: “Shame people with no knowledge or understanding of Libya want to play politics with the appallingly dangerous reality in Sirte.
“The reality there is that the clearing of corpses of Daesh fighters has been made much more difficult by IEDs and booby traps.
“That’s why Britain is playing a key role in reconstruction and why I have visited Libya twice this year in support.”
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
The Crow has contacted Mrs Allen for further comment.