South Cambs MP Heidi Allen calls for Boris Johnson to be sacked after Libya comments
- Credit: Archant
South Cambs MP Heidi Allen has called for Boris Johnson to be sacked from his role in Government over comments made about Libya.
Foriegn secretary Mr Johnson said at a Conservative conference fringe meeting yesterday evening that the Libyan city of Sirte could be the next Dubai – and added that “the only thing they have got to do is clear the dead bodies away”.
Mrs Allen took to Twitter last night to voice her dismay and said: “100 per cent unacceptable from anyone, let alone foreign sec. Boris must be sacked for this. He does not represent my party.”
Conservative MP Anna Soubry replied to Mrs Allen, saying: “As I said yesterday #borisjohnson is embarrassing and PM should sack him.”
Mr Johnson later tweeted: “Shame people with no knowledge or understanding of Libya want to play politics with the appallingly dangerous reality in Sirte.
You may also want to watch:
“The reality there is that the clearing of corpses of Daesh fighters has been made much more difficult by IEDs and booby traps.
“That’s why Britain is playing a key role in reconstruction and why I have visited Libya twice this year in support.”
- 1 Let's go fly a kite as annual festival is set to return
- 2 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 3 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 4 How many children are living in poverty in North Herts?
- 5 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
- 6 'Dawning of a new era' as Melbourn Community Hub prepares to reopen
- 7 Parish councils react to High Court decision that councils must meet in person
- 8 MP welcomes Secretary of State to biomedical campus
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 10 Who is standing in Royston Town Council Meridian ward election?
The Crow has contacted Mrs Allen for further comment.