South Cambs MP Heidi Allen calls for Boris Johnson to be sacked after Libya comments
- Credit: Archant
South Cambs MP Heidi Allen has called for Boris Johnson to be sacked from his role in Government over comments made about Libya.
Foriegn secretary Mr Johnson said at a Conservative conference fringe meeting yesterday evening that the Libyan city of Sirte could be the next Dubai – and added that “the only thing they have got to do is clear the dead bodies away”.
Mrs Allen took to Twitter last night to voice her dismay and said: “100 per cent unacceptable from anyone, let alone foreign sec. Boris must be sacked for this. He does not represent my party.”
Conservative MP Anna Soubry replied to Mrs Allen, saying: “As I said yesterday #borisjohnson is embarrassing and PM should sack him.”
Mr Johnson later tweeted: “Shame people with no knowledge or understanding of Libya want to play politics with the appallingly dangerous reality in Sirte.
“The reality there is that the clearing of corpses of Daesh fighters has been made much more difficult by IEDs and booby traps.
“That’s why Britain is playing a key role in reconstruction and why I have visited Libya twice this year in support.”
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 3 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 4 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 5 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 6 Councillors take the plunge to raise money for Home-Start
- 7 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 8 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 9 Royston drama group CADS wins new play award for The Blonde Bombshell at Welwyn festival
- 10 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
The Crow has contacted Mrs Allen for further comment.