South Cambs county councillor meets Stagecoach manager in latest move to make 26 bus from Royston to Cambridge hourly again
- Credit: Archant
Following the cut in the 26 bus’ frequency last month to every two hours, county councillor Susan van de Ven asked Stagecoach East if they would consider making it hourly again, and was told no.
There was outrage last month when the new timetable went live, with calls for the ‘lifeline’ service – which links South Cambs villages to Royston and Cambridge – to be made hourly again.
Councillor van de Ven, who has met operator manager Andy Campbell twice with other councillors, said: “The company says that to make the service commercially viable it needs to see 300 extra passengers per day, and they don’t feel confident that this kind of shift will happen.
“For passengers travelling on a free bus pass, the bus company is reimbursed 50 per cent of the fare – down from 75 per cent previously.
“Other options were discussed, including altering the route of the 26 to terminate at Trumpington Park and Ride, and running on an hourly basis.
You may also want to watch:
“Passengers could transfer to the Guided Bus for Addenbrooke’s Hospital or the station, or the Park and Ride bus into the city centre.
“Stagecoach will consider this, and if it thinks it could be a viable option then it will run a questionnaire to gauge support. If that goes ahead, it will be important that people who need bus services to give their feedback, so please watch this space.”
A petition was launched at the start of the year to stop the cuts, click here for more.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 3 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 6 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 7 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
- 10 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court