South Cambridgeshire residents urged to check they are registered to vote ahead of the May elections
MAKE sure your name is on the electoral roll. That s the message from South Cambridgeshire district council ahead of the local elections, which will be held on May 6, and the general election, which is due at some time this year. Elections manager Laura L
MAKE sure your name is on the electoral roll.
That's the message from South Cambridgeshire district council ahead of the local elections, which will be held on May 6, and the general election, which is due at some time this year.
Elections manager Laura Lock said: We don't want anyone to miss out on the chance to vote, if they are eligible to do so. People can vote in person, by proxy or by post, but only if they are registered.
"We canvass all households in the district every year to make sure people do register, but there are always people moving into the district or who forget to return their canvass form. If this is you, or you haven't registered for some other reason, make sure you get in touch.
You may also want to watch:
"In 2005, the last time a general election was held, 52,648 people voted, representing a 68.3per cent turnout. The district elections in 2006, in which the same district seats were up for election as those up for election this year, saw a turnout of 41.5 per cent," she said.
The last opportunity to do this ahead of the 6 May elections is 20 April. Anyone wanting to register needs to complete a 'register to vote' form available at www.scambs.gov.uk/register or by calling the elections team on 03450 455 214.
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 4 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 5 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 9 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange