South Cambridgeshire rail users group targets parking improvements
SAFE parking at stations in Crow Country is top of the agenda for a new rail users group. The Meldreth, Shepreth, and Foxton rail user group met for the first time last month, with 18 people, including commuters, students, and older residents, attending.
SAFE parking at stations in Crow Country is top of the agenda for a new rail users group.
The Meldreth, Shepreth, and Foxton rail user group met for the first time last month, with 18 people, including commuters, students, and older residents, attending.
County Councillor Susan van de Ven, who helped organise the meeting, said: "A whole range of other issues were discussed. One of the main concerns at present is the overflow commuter parking in Meldreth High Street near the station which has caused traffic accidents and which we feel needs urgent attention."
The group resolved to take their concerns to the neighbourhood police panel, while users of Foxton station will address similar concerns with their neighbourhood officers.
You may also want to watch:
They also agreed some priority campaigning points, such as disabled access ramp to the southbound platform at Meldreth Station, clearer and more accessible information on student fares, and reduced car parking charges at Meldreth and Shepreth.
Cllr Van de Ven said: "[Train operator] First Capital Connect have said they would not revert to free parking, but clearly �2.50 is too high and our priority is to get the daily rate down to �1 per day.
- 1 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 2 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 3 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 4 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 9 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 10 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
"We feel that these car parks are valuable amenities in relatively small villages, and it is a great waste that they are now largely empty," she said.
Anyone wanting to get involved in the group can contact Cllr van de Ven on 01763 261833.