South cambridgeshire district council chief executive greg harlock to step down
A DISTRICT council s chief executive is calling it a day. Greg Harlock is standing down after 40 years service in local government, the last 23 of which have been spent with South Cambridgeshire district council. Mr Harlock said: I am very proud of my l
A DISTRICT council's chief executive is calling it a day.
Greg Harlock is standing down after 40 years service in local government, the last 23 of which have been spent with South Cambridgeshire district council.
Mr Harlock said: ""I am very proud of my long association with local government and South Cambridgeshire in particular. Recent times have been anything but boring, and I am extremely grateful for the opportunities and experiences SCDC has offered me. I've been working with a great team and am proud of the way in which we have pulled together to tackle the challenges that have come our way.
"Staff and councillors at SCDC are extremely passionate about the area and the people we serve; I have no doubt this will continue with a different face at the helm. With the changes that are in the pipeline for all public services, I think the time is right for a change at the head of the paid service," he said.
After joining the council as an audit manager in 1987, Mr Harlock progressed to commercial director and finance director before taking the joint role of chief executive and chief financial officer, which he has held for the last four years.
He will depart in August.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 3 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 6 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 7 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 8 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Bringing sunshine to our NHS - charity launches match funding to double money
Leader of the district council, Cllr Ray Manning, said: "I am extremely grateful to Greg for his hard work and dedication to South Cambridgeshire. The role of chief executive is never an easy one, but I think it would be fair to say that Greg has taken the ups and downs in his stride. He has been central to our improvement journey, carrying staff with him in what were at times very difficult circumstances, and he continues to work tirelessly on behalf of all South Cambridgeshire residents.
"On a personal note, Greg was a great support to me as a new leader and we have enjoyed a superb working relationship ever since.
"I'm sure my fellow councillors will join me in thanking Greg and wishing him well for his retirement," he added.