Soldier commended for gallantry under fire in Iraq
A SOLDIER who was temporarily blinded during an operation in Iraq has been rewarded for his gallantry. Sgt Chris Richards, who is based at Bassingbourn Barracks, was awarded the military cross for the courage he showed during the conflict in Basra in Apri
A SOLDIER who was temporarily blinded during an operation in Iraq has been rewarded for his gallantry.
Sgt Chris Richards, who is based at Bassingbourn Barracks, was awarded the military cross for the courage he showed during the conflict in Basra in April 2008.
He received his medal at Buckingham Palace from the Prince of Wales.
Sgt Richards, a member of the Royal Dragoon Guards, was commanding the lead tank in an operation to arrest a key militia leader.
You may also want to watch:
Charged with providing security on the ground, his Challenger tank came under fire, and as a result the turret hatch blew open, blinding the soldier in the process.
Despite his injury, poor visibility and considerable damage to the vehicle, Sgt Richards urged his crew to continue on, and played a key role in providing security to the other units involved in the mission and finally arrived safely at the objective.
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 4 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 5 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 6 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 7 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 8 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 9 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 10 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
His citation reads: "In spite of significant threats, Sgt Richards performed an act of leadership, with outstanding nerve, determination and exemplary gallantry in the face of the enemy.